Monday, June 18, 2012

Without a watch - On Italian time

So, because of ALL the numerous warnings about pickpockets and theives, Brian and I decided it would be better to travel only with my wedding ring and no other jewelry (not that I am an austentatious wearer of jewelry, but everything I wear is very special).  So, when deciding to not bring my nice watch, I was left to decide what watch I would wear instead, and I decided not to wear one at all.  Those who know me, know that I like to be prompt and usually am very aware of what time it is and how much time remains between one thing and the next.  So, I figured that while I was on vacation, in Italy, no less, I could stand to relax a bit and "do as the Romans". 

One of my discoveries.  A place where Italian boy scouts meet!
What has ensued is an interesting philosophical and awareness-raising set of experiences.  First of all, I've been late for stuff - lots of stuff.  I have not missed any airplanes or trains, but I have missed trams, been late for class and late for timed museum tickets.  And, you know what, nothing horrible happened to me!  Maybe I annoyed some people, but I can say, it has been a bit liberating.  And, it has helped me understand others better, too.  A few times, when I did not know the time, I felt freer to find an alternative route to school or whatever shop I was looking for and got lost and stumbled upon areas and neat stuff that I never would have found if I had realized I really didn't have time to explore. 
Even more importantly, perhaps, is that this experience has allowed me to enjoy experiences and be in-the-moment much more than I clearly am usually.  I know this will not come as a surprise to those who have not been a slave to the time like I sometimes am, but when I am not obsessed with schedule and promptness, there are more opportunities to enjoy fully the here and now. 

So, in Italy at least, I will remain watch-less.  And, I will be eyes-open ready for me and new experiences to find each other. 

1 comment:

  1. LOVE your blog and I smile reading about the "American" perspective of Italy! So true too....

    ReplyDelete